• Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
  • Never leave your grill unattended.
  • Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
  • The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
  • Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill. In roughly one of every five fires, the grill had not been cleaned.
  • Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it. Almost one-third of gas grill injuries were burns incurred while lighting the grill.


  • Cap lighter fluid immediately and place a safe distance from grill.
  • Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
  • Never use gasoline, kerosene, or other highly volatile fluids as a starter. They can explode.
  • Unplug or remove a hot starter with caution and be careful where you put it. Always cool starter completely before storing.
  • Never use an electric fire starter in the rain and/or when standing on wet ground.
  • When using instant light briquettes, do not use lighter fluid, electric, solid, or metal chimney-style starters. Do not add more instant light briquettes once the fire has been lit. Add only regular charcoal briquettes if more are needed.
  • Once the grill is lit, do not touch briquettes or wood chunks to see if they are hot. Keep grill uncovered until ready to cook.
  • Keep vents open while cooking. Charcoal briquettes and wood chunks need oxygen to burn.
  • When you are finished grilling, let the coals burn out completely and let ashes cool at least 48 hours before disposing. Dispose the ashes by wrapping in heavy-duty aluminum foil and placing in non-combustible container. Be sure no other combustible materials are nearby.
  • Never burn charcoal inside of homes, vehicles, tents, or campers, even if properly ventilated. Charcoal produces carbon monoxide (CO) when it is burned. Each year about 30 people die and 100 are injured as a result of CO fumes from charcoal grills and hibachi grills used inside.
  • Since charcoal produces CO fumes until the charcoal is completely extinguished, do not store the grill indoors with freshly used coals.


  • Check the tubes that lead into the burner for any blockage from insects, spiders, or food grease. Use a pipe cleaner or wire to clear blockage and push it through to the main part of the burner.
  • Check grill hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes, and leaks, and make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing.
  • Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping hot grease.
  • Replace scratched or nicked connectors, which can eventually leak gas.
  • Check for gas leaks using the manufacturer’s instructions if you smell gas or when you reconnect the grill to the gas container. If you detect a leak, immediately turn off the gas and don’t attempt to light the grill until it is fixed.
    Keep lighted cigarettes, matches, or open flames away from a leaking grill.
  • Never use the grill indoors. Keep the grill a minimum of 10 feet away from your house or any building. Do not the grill in a garage, carport, porch, or under a surface that can catch fire.
  • Do not attempt to repair the tank valve or the appliance yourself.
  • Use caution when storing gas containers; transport them in a secure, upright position. Never keep a filled container in a hot car or car trunk.


  • A Fire Pit should be at least 10 feet away from any structure or combustible surface.
  • Before lighting an outdoor fire, check the weather forecast. Avoid windy conditions that can blow embers.
  • Avoid windy places or spaces covered by trees or awnings. Finding a space that is open and clear is important.
  • Don’t use flammable fluids (gasoline, lighter fluid, etc.) to light or relight fires.
  • Always keep children and pets at least 3 feet away from the fire. Always supervise them.
  • Keep plenty of water nearby, in case of emergencies.
  • Never leave a fire or embers unattended. Fires should always be fully extinguished before leaving. 
  • Make sure all chairs and seating are safely positioned around the fire, so people can move freely without getting too close to the flames. 
Share this: