Authored By: Helene Paxton, MS, MT(ASCP),PhD, CIC
Most citations for disinfection of C. diff in the environment states that bleach should be used or compares against bleach. So my question is if bleach is so effective, why does C. diff continue to haunt us and sicken our patients? It is the fastest growing infection in our hospitals. The fact is that there are other chemicals that also work as sporicidals for C. diff as listed on the EPA K list. Other agents do work so why does bleach continue to be the mainstay?